Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I can see Kentucky from my gym!

Not really. But pretty close! I'm surprised at how close Brookport is to the KY border. Just have to cross a HUGE metal grate bridge (I'm thinking of you, Hattie Wagner!) and there you are. Last night, as I was roaring across aforementioned bridge in a rather obnoxious red pickup  that was blasting country music with a group of anthro majors I had met only hours ago (I didn't even have a seatbelt! Eep!), I thought of how bizarre my life is...one week ago I was still in Greece.

I have 24 roommates. Just as I suspected, living in a gym is pretty crazy. We have tons of space, but everyone is just out in the open. It kind of looks like the Old Gym in Spokane Middle School, or a strange version of convention bunks... I have high hopes, though (as always)--I think it will certainly be a growing/learning experience, and it's been fun so far.

One thing I've learned already-Spokane is not a small town. Brookport is a small town. Spokane is a rural community. This place is crazy, because they have all the stuff a town does (a library, a town hall, a bar, a diner, a laundromat, and a grocery store), but they just have one of each and they are tiny. Spokane doesn't have any of that stuff! It's pretty cool, and the locals seem friendly (Pretty sure that's a prerequisite for living in a small town that hosts visitors often).

So, archaeology. The first day was fun. It's like manual labor meets science. First of all, I thought it would be more trowelling, and less actual shovel-digging. It's hard work, but no big deal. Secondly, it's kind of strange to be one of the few non-majors. I definitely have some of the most room for learning opportunities, if you catch my drift. We opened some units today, which means we dug through topsoil stuff (plowlevel) and while we did find a few ceramic pieces, we didn't do too much actual excavation or anything yet. I did get supto dirty, though. yay!

Turns out I am sort of liking this blogging business, so I'll try to keep it up. The internet here is super sketchy (or supes sketch, if you prefer), but I'll give it a shot.

I also don't get very good phone service, but you should text me anyways.:)  I already feel a little isolated! (This is one of those camp-type situations where days feel much longer than a regular school day-like PA training! So even though I've only been here a day and a half, it seems like a while. Which is cool, and everything, because I'm meeting new people and learning/doing new stuff, but still.) 

I tried to add a picture of my little "room," but I'm not sure what happened. Maybe next time! :)

2 comments:

  1. You sound so enthusiastic about your project. Great! Will be thinking of you & praying everything goes well. Take care, & keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig this! Keep 'em comin'. Hated to miss your abbreviated visit home between excursions. You're really living aren't ya??!!

    ReplyDelete