Saturday, June 4, 2011

In Which Cold Showers, No Mattress, and 6am Wakeups Grow on Me

A 40 hour workweek is a lot less than I expected. I'm finding myself with some time on my hands, but no really solid ways to fill it.

The last few days have consisted of some pretty random stuff happening...including, but not limited to:
-me having two massive nosebleeds, one in the field and one on the way back.
-I fell over after one of these nosebleeds. It was actually pretty funny.
-I got left behind when the van I was in drove to another part of the site, and I had to hike it. (Also pretty funny).
-A few of us went into Paducah again, and I came across a hopscotch drawing that spanned the length of an entire block. I was so impressed-what a massive undertaking. Naturally, I decided instantly I would jump all 500-odd boxes. Almost halfway through, though, the creator of the chalking came out of a building and was not okay with me jumping on it. So, I got chewed out by a small girl wearing a party dress, a tiara, multiple Hawaiian-inspired leis, and a magic wand. Why would you create something that great and expect people not to jump on it?? I complimented it, and tried to chat with her, but I think she suddenly realized I was a stranger, so she ran off. Not going to lie...I hopped a few more squares after she left.
-It is seriously hot here. Of course, the gym has no air conditioning or anything, and is almost hotter than being outside because there is never a breeze. Last night a friend and I went to the mall just to soak up their air, and ended up flopping on a demo mattress in Sears for quite a while. First time I'd touched a mattress all week.
-I sprayed a ton of sunscreen all over the inside of my lunchbox on accident. ( Which reminds me...I need to clean that up...) Directly after this, a butterfly came and landed on me and crawled around for quite a while. As those of you who know how ticklish I am might imagine, I giggled a lot. :)

There have of course been many more miniadventures of this nature, but those are just a few that are coming to me right now.

As for the archaeology, we've still just been digging, trowelling, and screening the dirt we dig up. We've found a solid amount of potsherds, but nothing too exciting yet. A couple of days a week we will have lab, more commonly known as "sit and scrub rocks and wonder why I'm even here" time. Seriously, "lab" means we polish pebbles with a toothbrush. I've been learning a lot and having fun in the field, but lab's not really my thing.

Hopefully Paducah has a swimming pool.

2 comments:

  1. Hey...we have a buddy in Paducah...Brent Smith from TX. He just got married last year. Is there a way you can get together with Friends? Bet they'd be happy to come meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What on earth are potsherds? I'll look it up. Do you run across Indian artifacts in that area? Old farming tools? Bones? Fossils? Cooking utensils? How did they decide to dig where you are? It's all SO interesting to find out about. I feel like I'm a shirt tail relative of Indi-Hannah Jones!

    ReplyDelete