Monday, June 6, 2011

Making Molehills out of Mounds

Week 2!
I think I'm going to try to record my field school director saying "Good Morning, Field School! It's 6am. Time to get up" so that I can set it as my alarm to wake up to after this. Although maybe not at 6. He has a very booming voice, and either way, it's better than some beeping alarm.

The weekend was pretty solid: Did my laundry! Went to the Paducah city pool for a while just to try to beat the heat (best idea I've had in a while). Actually, did quite a few things just to beat the heat...My friend Jeff and I drove around for hours trying to find air conditioned stores to hang out in...but everything closed right as we got there. Seriously. The National Quilt Museum, countless antique stores, and even the mall. We did go to Wal-Mart and hung out in the toy section for a bit. It's strange not to have anything to do/work on over the weekends. Although next weekend I plan on driving up to Grandma and Grandpa LiaBraaten's. Yay!

More digging today. Actually, I did a lot of screening...which means I took the dug up dirt and pushed it through a metal screen so that anything larger than a quarter inch would get caught and we could scrub it in lab later...
Still haven't found anything other than pebbles, a few broken pottery pieces, and some lithic fragments, but our holes are very deep now!

If any of you blog-readers are interested in exactly what's going on here, I suggest you check out these sites, because they explain better than I can. Or care to. :)
The site's site (wait, what?) : http://www.kincaidmounds.com/
and for the simplicity-inclined: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kincaid_mounds

Still having fun and learning a lot and so on and so forth, but hopefully some adventures and or discoveries will come soon!

PS-went back to the hopscotch block...the big one was gone, but there was a small one there...how strange.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the links. I hope you won't be tested on all this info! It's interesting that the history goes back so far in that specific place. And interesting that finds as recent as 2003 were significant. Maybe you will find something too!

    ReplyDelete