Thursday, June 9, 2011

What doesn't kill me only makes me stranger.

What a day. I forgot to eat breakfast twice. Yes, you read that right. Cate "Everyone Should Always Eat" LiaBraaten forgot to eat breakfast, remembered she packed an extra granola bar, and then forgot to eat that. So that threw my morning off. Also, Brookport was on a "boil water" advisory...which means that because of the recent flooding, the water apparently became contaminated and is unfit to drink without boiling. So...not so much water when we were working today, which was bad, because I usually drink a ton. And then we had lab this afternoon, which I hate hate hate...(Around 4:00 today I figured this whole blog would be about that, but I'll spare you). And I got a little sunburned today. I thought I was past this! And I didn't even dig up anything overwhelmingly exciting. Just pebbles. And so. much. dirt.

But today did have a few high points: Jay from Jay's BBQ gave me a free sandwich because he had extra ham and I'm a semi-regular, I guess. It might also have something to do with the fact that I pay for everything in quarters (due to an adventure at the laundromat) and I'm always really dirty, tired, and scroungy looking when I show up at his BBQ stand. Thanks, Jay!

I discovered something that looks disgusting, but is actually fantastic, and that would be Mountain Blast Powerade (Which is blue, but blue isn't technically a flavor) mixed with Sunny D. I had both of them, was really thirsty, and decided to mix them. Murky green! yay! I also put a splash of my friend Andrew K's cran-grape juice in it, and made it even better. (Incidentally, Andrew's now a follower of this blog! And I blocked him in basketball yesterday afternoon, even though we have a foot height difference! :) he might have let me...).

If anyone's ever interested in doing any archaeological field work, here are 3 items that probably won't be included in your equipment list, but are essentials: Beef jerky, Powerade, and Pringles. We pretty much live off of those things around here. The beef jerky especially is an absolute must, I'd say. Another must would be my gray skirt, which I left at home. shoot.

One more paragraph (and I thought this would just be a short entry today!)...
Last block in Greece, and now being here have helped me to realize something pretty interesting about myself that might be hard for me to put into words. I feel like I've reverted to myself as a child lately, but in a good way.  I just knew what I liked more as a child than I did as a teenager, and now as a young adult I'm getting back to that. It's so much more me to love reading for fun, running around, being outside every single day, and talking to/becoming friends with every person I meet. I won't say I'm past the awkward days of middle school and high school, but I'm just awkward in different ways. :) This experience as well as my time in Greece have really helped me to realize/remember who I am and embrace it. Yay! (Sorry if that got a little too touchy-feely-warm-fuzzy for anyone. haha)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how funny, Catie you need to eat... I just saw a tag that said the seat belts and life jackets don't do any good unless you wear them - Well, same is true with having food doesn't do much good unless you eat it.

    I am enjoying your blog from time to time. I don't come every day but I do once in a while and like the learning process that I am getting out of it. Thanks so much for doing this.

    ken

    ReplyDelete